I know that feeling. You want to encourage someone, whether it’s a friend, neighbor or co-worker, but you simply can’t think of what you’d like to do. Sometimes time is of the essence and while you’d love to cook Aunt Susie a 4 course meal, that’s simply out of the question for the moment. Today’s list of 50 things to do to encourage someone is the go-to guide for you!
If you’ve been around here long, you know that I truly believe in the power of words. I also strongly believe in putting action behind those words and showing love to folks through tangible acts of kindness.
Sometimes that’s tough to do without a little forethought or planning. And even with planning, sometimes having the time to follow through on the idea can be tough. My goal with today’s 50 things to do to encourage someone list is to give you a resource for your ideas. Whether you need it on the fly or you want to plan ahead, there’s sure to be an idea or two to empower you to follow through on loving someone God places in your path. Here we go!
1. Surprise pay for the car behind you in the drive-thru.
2. Create a sunshine box of encouragement.
3. Write a thank-you note and give it with some candy.
4. Make a meal for a family with a newborn.
5. Send a random text of encouragement to one of your contacts.
6. Post an encouraging Bible verse for your social media status.
7. Give hugs freely.
8. Shovel snow for a neighbor.
9. Cut grass for an elderly person.
10. Leave a positive post-it note on your coworker’s computer.
11. Leave some candy on the copy machine at the office.
12. Give the waitress a double tip.
13. Say thank you more than once.
14. Print a list of “things to say to encourage…” and post it on your fridge.
15. Take the neighbor’s trash cans off the curb and place near home.
16. Take time to listen intently.
17. Bake cookies and share them with a nearby nursing home.
18. Pick 5 people and leave an encouraging comment on their Facebook wall.
19. Pack small necessity bags and keep them in your vehicle for the homeless.
20. Pray for that request and then let the person know you prayed.
21. Smile at the cashier.
22. Keep your cell phone in your pocket when someone is talking to you.
23. Loan a book to your friend when she lost the last one she borrowed.
24. Pray for someone when they request prayer- right on the spot!
25. Give someone a free printable set of Scripture cards.
26. Take a flower to the hospital, even when you don’t know anyone who is a patient.
27. Take a selfie with the “I Love You” sign and send it to your loved one.
28. Write a letter to someone who has made a difference in your life. (ie: pastor, teacher, etc.)
29. Allow the person behind you to go first.
30. Call the oldest living relatives you have.
31. Send anonymous flowers to the school office.
32. Thank the parking lot attendant and give him a tip.
33. Make two lunches and give one away.
34. Buy Girl Scout cookies; then give them away.
35. Place all the shopping carts in the parking lot into the store storage.
36. Tip the grocery bagger.
37. Give someone the promise that you will pray for them for the week and let them know you did.
38. Write a note and send it in the MAIL..
39. Send an encouraging ecard.
40. See a need and fill it.
41. Hold the door open for someone.
42. Give away your favorite book.
43. Make a cup of tea or coffee for a public service employee.
44. Offer to replace someone’s shopping cart when they’ve unloaded.
45. Let someone else make the choice.
46. Compliment someone on social media.
47. Give up your seat on the bus or shuttle.
48. Give someone the gift of laughter- tell a joke.
49. Round up a box of items to donate to a shelter.
50. Talk to someone who appears lonely.
Give someone the gift of a brighter day!