With a schedule change in close proximity for many of us, today I was thinking about how often I hear people say: “Wow, you must be busy.” Or “I am just too busy.” Or “We are just too busy for that.”
And I really don’t want to use the excuse of being “too busy” as a Christian, a wife, or a mom.
Today I was thinking about ways to know if you are too busy and I though I would share this list with you. Just in case some of you wonder whether or not you’re too busy. 😉 Now keep in mind that these points will happen to all of us occasionally. But if you find yourself in repetition mode on any one item, then you’re probably too busy.
1. If you find yourself skipping your quiet time with God, with the promise that you will catch up later, but never doing it, then you are too busy.
2. If you skip meals a few times a week or the same meal every day, then you’re too busy.
3. If you are continually saying to someone, “I’m sorry, could you wait just a minute?”, then you’re probably too busy.
4. If you get impatient when waiting at a drive-thru window for more than 4 minutes, then you just might be too busy.
5. If you are losing touch with the ones you love the most, you are definitely too busy.
6. If you feel stressed for no direct reason, then you could be too busy.
7. If those you love have stopped asking for your time, then you’re definitely too busy.
8. If you can’t remember the last time you were ahead of schedule, you are too busy.
9. If you continually feel tired even after sleeping all night, you might be too busy.
10. If you never take a time of rest during an entire week during the day, then you are probably too busy.
11. If you always do something else at the same time as eating meals, other than conversation or relationship-building, then you are too busy.
12. If you find yourself forgetting routine steps of daily living, you may be too busy.
13. If you continually feel worried about how you are spending your time, you might simply be too busy.
14. If your schedule continually provides a feeling of being overwhelmed, you are probably too busy.
15. If you forget to pray before meals, you might be too busy.
16. If you can’t remember the last time you took time off, you are probably too busy.
17. If you don’t know when you last studied your Bible, you are definitely too busy.
18. If you have missed several weeks of church in a row, you could be too busy.
19. If simple activities feel ginormous, then possibly you’re too busy.
20. If you said yes to several of the above statements, you’re too busy.
So if you know you are too busy, then what do you do about it?
You learn to say “No.” Honestly, when I’ve evaluated the times that I knew I was too busy, it was because I overcommitted and overscheduled. I just needed to learn to say “No.”
How do you feel about being “too busy?” I would appreciate your sharing so much!