Today I heard a pastor mention Facebook and its usage in his sermon. He talked about why some Christians say you shouldn’t use Facebook and many of the reasons he gave could be considered valid.
But I loved that his personal opinion is that Facebook should be used- because ANYTHING can be used for good or bad.You may find it strange for a blogger to write this, but for many years, I personally stayed away from social media. I didn’t want to get drawn in and glued to it. I didn’t want to broadcast my personal life. I didn’t think that there could be much good coming from all this internet collaboration.
But then my daughter headed off to college. And while she was only 45 minutes away, I suddenly found myself on Facebook, because she was there. And my mama’s heart wanted to know what was going on with her. Call it spying, open communication, whatever you’d like, I needed to be in touch with my girl. And who wants their stepmom texting ten times a day? So I created a Facebook account.
I had no idea at the time that I’d be parked in this virtual space of RachelWojo.com five years later. But I look back over the 5 years with joy and wonder at all God has accomplished- and especially this year so far. Here are 10 reasons Christians should use social media.
1. Social media is an opportunity to connect with other believers and encourage one another.
2. Social media offers a unique way of collaborating with other Christians on all types of projects, whether mission, church, or service.
3. Social media is a great communications tool to share church news and announcements.
4. Social media provides a way to share the news of the Gospel in an invitational, non-confrontational, Christ-honoring manner.
5. Social media affords Christians the ability to share prayer requests in a timely manner.
6. Social media gives Christians the opportunity to show love and light in a dark world through wise word choices.
7. Social media offers the opening of a larger window of connecting people together in person, where more ministry happens.
8. Social media prompts creativity and creativity is contagious.
9. Social media can be an important tool to keep in touch with family and friends who do not live in our immediate community.
10. Social media provides an encouragement mechanism to unite Christians in seeking God and His Word daily.
Why do you feel Christians should or should not use social media?